Thursday, April 17, 2014

Recipes from Friends - Vegetarian Buckaroo Chili (Spicy!)

This post and my next one are going to include a couple of recipes that have been given to me from various friends over the years. I'm not sure who came up with the originals, but if you know please tell me, and I'll happily link to the recipe or credit them in this post.

This is probably the best chili recipe I have ever had. You can make it exactly as the recipe says, or you can cut down on the chili seasoning and have it be more kid friendly. My kids like spicy food, but even they complain if I make this full strength, so we usually leave out one of the chili seasoning packets and only add half the chili powder (yes they are two different ingredients).

This is especially good with my husbands corn bread. I'll have to see if I can get him to write it down so I can share it with you...


Buckaroo Chili
2 packages Morning Star beef crumbles
2 large cans chili Beans
2 large cans kidney beans, drained

3 4oz cans tomato sauce
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
2 packages chili seasoning. Depending on how hot you like your chili you can use either the mild variety or use only one of the regular seasoning packets instead of two.
1 T. chili powder
1-2 cups water (1 is where I like to keep it since it makes for a thicker, heartier chili)
1/2 t. Allspice
1/4 cup ketchup
1 t. cumin
1 t. Salt
1/2 t. Oregano
1/2 t. Pepper
1/2 t. Red Pepper
1 large onion finely chopped 


Sauté onions in a frying pan on medium heat. Heat beef crumbles in stock pot or medium-large pot until they are thawed. Add the rest of the ingredients. Cover and simmer over low heat 30-45 minutes. Stir occasionally and add more water if needed. Garnish with Tofutti sour cream, tortilla chips, salsa and diced green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment