Thursday, April 17, 2014

Recipes from Friends - Whole Wheat Applesauce Cake

This post and my previous one include a couple of recipes that have been given to me from various friends over the years. I'm not sure who came up with the originals, but if you know please tell me, and I'll happily link to the recipe or credit them in this post.

This recipe is one that my mom was given in College.  She used to make it every week when she was first married to my dad. This is the original recipe, but I have included a couple variations that are sure to be big hits as well. :)

Whole Wheat Applesauce Cake (Original Version)
1/2 C. oil
1 C. granulated brown sugar
1 C. applesauce
1 1/2 C. unsifted whole wheat flour (Can use pastry flour instead)
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 C. raisins (optional)


Directions:
Prehead oven to 375 degrees.  Oil & flour an 8" round or square baking pan or muffin tins. 
Cream oil & sugar together and mix in applesauce and baking soda.  Add flour & cinnamon, blending thoroughly.
Pour batter into pan & bake 30 minutes for 8" cake (or about 20 min for cupcakes).


Varition 1
Replace applesuace with 1 cup canned pumpkin.
Replace raisens with 1/2 cup chocolate chips.

Variation 2
Make a simple frosting out of a package of Tofutti cream cheese, 1/2 C. organic sugar and 1 tsp vanilla flavoring. Spread it on the cake after it has cooled completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment